Some examples of recently published work by Dr. Brown
For listing of Pubmed publications (US National Library of Medicine) click HERE
For copies please contact MRC
- Karsh, B., and Brown, R. L.., (2010). Macroergonomics and patient safety: The impact of levels
on theory, measurment, analysis and intervention in patient safety research. Applied
- Karsh, B., Beasley, J. W., and Brown, R. L. (2010). Employed family physician
satisfaction and commitment to their practice, work group, and health care
organization. Health Services Research. 45(2), 457-475.
- Phelan CH, Love GL, Ryff C, Brown, R. L., Heidrich SM. Psychosocial predictors of
changing sleep patterns in aging women: A multiple pathway approach. Psychology
and Aging Advance online publication, August 23, 2010. doi: 10.1037/a0019622.
- Holden, R.J., Scanlon, M.C., Patel, N.R., Kaushal, R., Escoto, K.H., Brown, R. L..,
Alper, S.J., Arnold, J.M., Shalaby, T.M., Murkowski, K., & Karsh, B. (2011).
A human factors framework and study of the effect of nursing workload on
patient safety and employee quality of working life. BMJ Quality & Safety,
20, 15-24. NIHMSID: 229445.
- Holden, R.J., Brown, R. L., Alper, S., Scanlon, M, Patel, N, and Karsh, B.
Thatís nice, but what does IT do? Evaluating the impact of bar coded medication
administration by measuring changes in the process of care, International
Journal of Industrial Ergonomics (2011), doi:10.1016/j.ergon.2011.02.007
- Wiltshire, J., Dark, T., Brown, R. L., and Person, S. Gender differences in
financial hardships of medical debt. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and
Underserved. (2011). 22, 371-388.
- Harrison, T. M., and Brown, R. L. (2011). Autonomic nervous system function
in infants with transposition of the great arteries. Biological Research for
Nursing, published online 25 May. DOI: 10.1177/1099800411407687.
- Barrett, B., Brown, R. L.., et. Al (2011). Placebo effects and the common cold:
A randomized controlled trial. Annals of Family Medicine, 9(4), 312-322.
- Tuczek, A., McKechnie, A. C., and Brown, R. L. (2011). Factors associated with
parental perception of child vulnerability 12 months after abnormal newborn screening
results. Research in Nursing & Health. 34, 389-400.
- Carayon, P., Cartmill, R., Blosky, M. A., Brown, R. L., et al. (2011). ICU nursesí
acceptance of electronic health records. Journal of the American Medical Informatics
- Hoonakker, P., Carayon, P., Gurses, A., Brown, R. L., et al. (2011). Using the NASA Task Load Index (TLX) to measure
workload of ICU nurses. IIE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering, 1(2), 131-143.
- Royer, H. R., Heidrich, S. M., and Brown, R. L., (2012). Young women's representations of sexually transmitted
diseases (RoSTD): A Psychometric Study. Research in Nursing & Health, 35(1), 15-29.
- Hoonakker, P., Carayon, P., Brown, R. L. , Cartmill, R., Wetterneck, T., and Walker, J. (in press). Changes in
end-user satisfaction with CPOE over time among nurses and providers in intensive care units. Journal of the
American Medical Informatics Association.
- Obasi, C., Barrett, B., Brown, R. L. (2012). Advantage of meditation over exercise in reducing cold and flu illness is related to improved function and quality of life. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses
- Naab, F., Brown, R. L.,, and Heidrich, S. M. (in press). Psychosocial health of infertile Ghanaian women and
their infertility beliefs. Journal of Nursing Scholarship
- Wang JH, Schwartz MD, Brown RL, Maxwell AE, Lee MM, Adams IF, Mandelblatt JS. (2012) Results of a randomized controlled trial testing the efficacy of a culturally targeted and a generic video on mammography screening among Chinese-American immigrants. Cancer Epidemiological Biomarker & Prevention Research, 21(11):1923-32.
- Brown, R. L. (2013). Modeling impure clusters in a cluster randomized control trial. Research in Nursing & Health.36, 216-223.
- Hoonakker, P., Carayon, P., Walker, J., Brown, R. L., and Cartmill, R. S. (2013). The effects of computerized provider order entry implementation on communication in intensive care units. International Journal of Medical Informatics. dx.doi.org/10.106/j.ijmedinf.2012.11.005.
- Ohasi, C. N., Brown, R. L.,Barrett, B. P. (2014). Item reduction of the Wisconsin Upper Respiratory Symptom Survey (WURSS-21) leads to the WURSS-11. Quality of Life Research,23(4): 1293Ė1298. doi:10.1007/s11136-013-0561-z..
- Strong, C., Liang, J.I., Ma, W., Brown, R. L., and Wang, J. (2014). Heterogeneous demographic and cultural profiles of non-adherent Chinese-American patients to colorectal cancer screening: A latent class analysis. Cancer Nursing, 37(2).
- Yoon, J. Y., King, B., Pecananc, K. Brown, R. L., Mahoney, J, and Kuo, F. (2015). Comparison of time-and-motion observations and self-reports to capture mobility-related nursing care activities for hospitalized older adults. Research in Gerontological Nursing, in press.
- Pecanac, K., E., King, B. Yoon, J. Y., Brown, R. L., and Schiefelbein, T.. (2015). Using timed event sequential data in nursing research. Nursing Research, 64(1), 67-71.
- Linzer, M and Brown, R. L.,et. al., T. (2015). A cluster randomized trial of interventions to improve work conditions and clinician burnout in primary care: Results for the Healthy Work Place (HWP) Study. Journal of General Internal Medicine, DOI: 10.1007/s11606-015-3235-4..
- Gilmore-Bykovskyi, A. L., Roberts, T., Bowers, B. and Brown, R. L.. (2015). Caregiver person-centeredness and behavioral symptoms in nursing home residents with dementia: A time-event sequential analysis. The Gerontologist, 55(S1), S61-S66.
- Chen, I-H., Brown, R. L., Bowers, B., and Chang, W-Y. (2015). Job demand and job satisfaction in latent groups of turnover intention among licensed nurses in Taiwan nursing homes. Research in Nursing & Health, DOI: 10.1002/nur.21667.
- Sebern, M., Brown, R. L., and Brennan, P. F., (2016). Shared care contributions to self-care and quality of life in chronic cardiac patients. Western Journal of Nursing Research, DOI: 10.1177/0193945915626877.
- Brown, R. L., , Obasi, C. N., and Barrett, B., (2016). Rasch analysis of the WURSS-21 dimensional validation and assessment of invariance. Journal of Lung, Pulmonary & Respiratory Research, 3(2): 00076, DOI: 10.15406/jlprr.2016.03.00076
- Varkey, A. B., Manwell, L. B., Brown, R. L. , Montague, E., Laiteerapong, N., Burgess, D., and Ibrahim, S. (2016). Impact of work conditions and minority patient populations on quality and errors.Health Services, Research and Managerial Epidemiology, 1-4, DOI: 10.1177/2333392815625997.
- Chang, M-W, Brown, R. L. and Nitzke, S. (2016). Fast food intake in relation to employment status, stress, depression, and dietary behaviors in low-income overweight and obese pregnant women. Maternal and Child Health Journal, DOI 10.1007/s10995-016-1949-5.
- Semeniuk, Y. Y., Brown, R. L., and Riesch, S. K. (2016). Analysis of the efficacy of an intervention to improve parent-adolescent problem solving. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 1-29, DOI: 10.1177/0193945916634345.
- Carayon, P., Du, S., Brown, R. L. Cartmill, R., Johnson, M., and Wetterneck, T. B. (2017). EHR-related medication errors in two ICUs. Journal of Healthcare Risk Management 36(3), DOI: 10.1002/jhrm21259.
- Molfenter, T., Brown, R. L. , O'Neill, A., Kopetsky, E., and Toy, A. (2018). Use of telemedicine in addiction treatment: Current practices and organizational implementation characteristics. International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications. Volume 2018, Article ID 3932643, 7 pages, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/3932643.
- Steffle, C., N., Brown, R. L., , Korcarz, C., Varghese, T., Stein, J., Wilbrand, S., Empsey, R., and Mitchell, C. (2018). Influence of ultrasound system and gain on grayscale median values. Journal of Ultrasound Medicine, doi:10.1002/jum.14690.